Roadside & Accident Assist
In the event of a roadside emergency, Roadside & Accident Assistance, gives you access* to the following services:
- Flat battery – jump start only (replacement of battery for the member’s account)
- Flat tyre (help with change of tyre)
- Keys locked in vehicle (unlocking only)
- Fuel assistance (limited to five litres per incident)
- Minor roadside assistance – running repairs (electrical, coil, immobiliser etc.)
- Transmission of urgent messages
*limited up to R500 per incident
In the event that you need towing, AA Roadside & Accident Assistance, provides you with tow-in service to the nearest approved dealership (if under warranty), repair centre or panel beater in the event of:
- Mechanical breakdown – covered up to R500
- Electrical breakdown – covered up to R500
Accident damage – cost covered to the nearest approved panel beater up to a limit of R1850
Where the vehicle needs to be towed to a repairer, we will arrange for the occupants of the vehicle (up to a maximum of four two persons) to be transported to a nominated destination where the breakdown has occurred within a 100 km radius of your normal place of residence.
Where the breakdown has occurred outside a radius of 100 km from your normal place of residence, resulting in an overnight delay, we will arrange hotel accommodation for the occupants of the vehicle (up to a maximum of two people). Cover up to R500.
If the circumstances of the problem entitles you to the hotel accommodation benefit but you would prefer to continue with your journey immediately, we will arrange for a rental car to enable you to reach your destination, subject to your qualifying for a rental vehicle in terms of the car rental companies general terms and conditions. The costs incurred will be confined to rental charges; delivery and collection of the hire vehicle, and the car must be surrendered on arrival at your destination. Cover up to R500 and subject to availability.
In the event of a your vehicle being left for repairs, we will pay up to R500 for 24-hour, Group-B car rental or a flight ticket to collect the vehicle after repairs. Alternatively, should the vehicle have been towed to a dealership closer to the member’s place of residence, we will supplement the additional tow costs with the costs of car rental.
The fine print
Overall limit of R5 000 per annum per policy and this cover excludes:
- Vehicles over 3 500kg, trailers, caravans and boats;
- A member will not be entitled to service where the vehicle is not in a roadworthy condition;
- Any costs incurred through arrangements made by the member without prior authorisation shall not be reimbursed;
- Assistance is only available in South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland.
Emergency Medical Assist
Medical Advice and Information Hotline
Medical personnel, including paramedics, nurses and doctors, are available 24-hours a day to provide general medical information and advice. This is an advisory service, as a telephonic conversation does not permit an accurate diagnosis.
Emergency Medical Advice and Assistance Hotline
In addition to the general medical advice service, one call to the same number will trigger the medical operators who will guide you through a medical crisis situation, provide you with emergency advice and organise for you to receive the support you require.
Referral to Crisis Line
Bereavement counselling, HIV counselling, Suicide counselling.
Referrals to Medical Practitioners and Facilities
We will refer you to the nearest medical facility or practitioners.
Emergency Medical Response to the Scene of a Medical Emergency
An appropriate response will be undertaken whereby a response vehicle will be dispatched immediately to the scene of a medical emergency where appropriate life saving support will be provided to the member/s and where relevant, the member/s will be stabilised before transfer is provided to the closest appropriate medical facility.
In the event of you experiencing a medical emergency, we will arrange for emergency medical transport to the nearest medical facility capable of providing adequate care. Medical considerations, the degree of urgency, your state and fitness to travel and other considerations, including but not limited to, airport availability, weather conditions and distance to be covered, as assessed by the doctor and support staff, will determine whether transport will be provided by private, medically equipped aircraft, helicopter, regular schedule flight, rail or road.
If the doctor, in consultation with the attending doctor, determines that treatment should continue at an alternate medical facility (because the necessary treatment cannot be continued at the present facility) we will arrange for transportation to the closest facility where the treatment can be continued after you have been stabilised.
In the event of your hospitalisation outside of your hometown, we will assist in arranging for your repatriation to your hometown once you have been treated.
Escorted Return of Minors
In the event of your children being stranded as a result of your hospitalisation, we will arrange for their transportation, under supervision where necessary, into the care of a person nominated by you.
Should you be hospitalised outside your hometown for a period exceeding five (5) consecutive days, we will arrange for the transportation of a close relative to visit you.
The fine print
- This cover is only valid within the borders of South Africa.
- There is an annual limitation of R20 000 per policy.
Fixtures, Fittings and Services
In the event of a home emergency as a result of breakage of fixtures and fittings, we will arrange for an appropriate repairer (electrician, plumber, locksmith, glazier etc.) to address the problem at one nominated address.
Emergency Services Notification and Call-out
We will, at your request, relay notification of emergencies to the police, traffic, fire brigade, ambulance, security or any other emergency service provider.
The fine print
- Overall limit of 3 incidents or up to R2000 per annum per policy.
- Call-out fee and first hour labour is covered, thereafter normal rates apply.
- Please note that all parts and materials used are excluded and will be for the member’s account.
- A home emergency is defined as an event that is potentially life threatening or could possibly cause structural damage to a property.
- Maintenance related issues are not covered
24-hour HIV-Protection Service
The HIV-protection treatment service ensures confidential testing and treatment within the 72-hour window period. It includes:
- 24-hour access to trauma counsellors, providing telephonic trauma counselling as well as counselling for post-traumatic stress disorder
- Three HIV related trauma consultations with a specialist, which can either be a general practitioner, trauma-trained registered nurse or trauma counsellor
- Three HIV-blood tests one immediately after the incident and the second and third at six weeks and three months respectively
- Access to STD-preventative medication
- Access to anti-retroviral or prophylactic therapy
- Access to the “morning-after pill”
CRIME ASSIST – HI-JACKING
This is a 24-hour crisis management product to assist you in the event of a hi-jacking. We will assist with the following:
- In the case of your cellphone being stolen in a hi-jacking, we will provide you with a cellphone loaded with pre-paid airtime to the value of R100
- In the case of your vehicle being hi-jacked, we will provide you with Group B car hire for 48 hours to keep you mobile, subject to your qualifying for a rental vehicle in terms of the car rental company’s general term and conditions
- In the case of your credit card being stolen, we will provide you with a pre-loaded debit card up to the value of R500 to assist you in the interim.
- In the case of your keys being stolen in a hi-jacking, we will send a locksmith to your house to assist you with your locks, up to the value of R1000 per annum
- In the case of you being hi-jacked at your place of residence, we will place a security guard at your house for 24 hours
CRIME ASSIST – HOME INVASION
This is a 24-hour crisis management product providing you with assistance in the event of a home invasion. If you have had a break-in or robbery at your place of residence, we will make arrangements for the placement of a security guard outside your residence for 24 hours, thereafter. All incidents must be reported to the police in order to obtain a case reference number and to make use of the service.
Crime Assist Home Invasion covers the following:
- In the case of your cellphone being stolen in a home invasion, we will provide you with a cellphone loaded with pre-paid airtime to the value of R100
- In the case of your vehicle being stolen, we will provide you with Group B car hire for 48 hours to keep you mobile
- In the case of your credit card being stolen, we will provide you with a pre-loaded debit card up to the value of R500 to assist you in the interim
- In the case of your keys being stolen in a home invasion, we will send a locksmith to your house to assist you with your locks, up to the value of R1000 per annum
- In the case of your home being invaded, we will place a security guard at your house for 24 hours after the invasion has taken place
- In case of your home being invaded, we will provide hotel accommodation to the value of R1000 per annum
24 hour Legal Advice
Assist members and their immediate family have on-going access to a 24-hour legal advisory service on any aspect of the law such as criminal law, family law, constitutional law, child law, labour law, motor law, etc
30-Minute Free Consultation
This service involves a free initial 30-minute consultation should any matter require legal action. The member will then be referred to a lawyer who forms part of our national network for a direct free 30-minute consultation.
Free Standard Legal Documents
If a member requires a purchase, sale, lease, or prenuptial agreement, employment contracts, etc, we will provide these free at his or her request. The member will also be advised on the application of each of these documents and the procedures and principles that apply.